Recipe: Wild-Caught Shrimp Gumbo
April 13, 2020
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, browned dark
- 3 bunches of green onions
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of chopped garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper – green or yellow, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of celery chopped
- 3 pounds okra chopped
- 1 large center cut ham, chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 – 14oz cans of chicken broth – low sodium
- 5 pounds fresh peeled M&M Brand shrimp
- 2 – 16oz cans of stewed tomatoes
- 3 links of smoked sausage – beef
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1/2 pound crab claws or 3 whole crab bodies
- 1 quart of raw oysters
- 2 quarts of water
After creating your roux, add all ingredients minus the shrimp. (Looking for a roux recipe? Try this one for a Louisiana style brown roux)
Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Just before serving, add the green onions and shrimp.
Simmer until shrimp are cooked, and serve.
For more recipes from Biloxi Freezing, visit – http://biloxifreezing.com/recipes
Cook Time: 2+ hours
A shrimp swimming underwater Shrimp School is now in session! Did you know that shrimp swim backward? It’s true! Shrimp may be little guys...
Did you know that an average of 8 ounces of seafood per week is associated with reduced risk for cardiovascular disease, prevention of clogged arteries,...
Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp on the grill! Larger social gatherings may be placed on hold due to COVID-19, but that just means it’s all the more...