Recipe: Tom Yum Shrimp Soup
July 20, 2021
- 1 oz – Oils of Aloha mac-nut oil
- 1 tbs – Ginger minced
- 1 tbs – Garlic minced
- 1 tbs – ginger minced
- 3 ea –Lemongrass bruised bottoms only
- 4 – Kafir Lime leaves ripped
- 2-oz – four j’s white sugar
- ¼ cup –Wai Ehu –Chili Water
- 1 oz – Aloha Shoyu
- ¼ cup – green tea The Tea Chest
- 1-cup –Aloha Shoyu vinegar
- 2 can – Hawaiian Sun Coconut milk
- 1 cup –chicken stock
- 1 oz – miso
- 1lb wild-caught American shrimp cut in ¼ inch pieces
- 4 mushrooms cut in quarters
- 1 tomato cut in quarters
- Garnish with hearts of palm rings
1. In a saucepan on medium-high heat – add oil, ginger, shallots garlic, lemongrass, kafir lime and brown till caramelized for about 5 minutes
2. Add sugar and stir for 1 minute till dissolved into caramel
3. Add chili water, shoyu, tea, chicken stock and vinegar reducing for 6 minutes till concentrated by ¼.
4. Pour coconut milk into silken and add miso whisking to dissolve.
5. Add shrimp with tomato and mushroom for about 3 minutes on simmer till prawns are cooked and serve.
You may use the shells of the prawns in the broth for flavor.
Yields 1 quart
*ALL OF THESE INGREDIENTS ARE USED FOR CHEF APTAKIN’S LAYERS OF FLAVOR CATERING COMPANY BASED IN HAWAII, CAUSING MOST OF THESE INGREDIENTS TO BE SOURCED IN HAWAII. HOWEVER, YOU MAY USE GENERIC INGREDIENTS IF THESE PARTICULAR SOURCES ARE UNAVAILABLE IN YOUR LOCATION.
WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Representatives Garret Graves (Louisiana) and Kathy Castor (Florida) introduced legislation to stop unsafe, illegally-produced shrimp from reaching consumers. Much of the shrimp...
November 3, 2022, BILOXI, Mississippi – Wild American Shrimp®, the American Shrimp Processors Association (ASPA)’s marketing program for wild-caught Gulf and South Atlantic Shrimp, has announced...
Dominick’s Seafood, founded in 1992 by Dominick Ficarino, is just the latest venture in four generations of shrimp and seafood processing in the Ficarino family....